Thursday, February 19, 2009

Blame It On The Goose, Got You Feeling Loose

So there have been many times I have gone to class on a Monday and heard people’s weekend perils. A popular phrase I hear seems to be, “Oh wow, I was so gone that night” or “What I did that? Get out of here” or my personal favorite “I only did that because I was drunk.” Being a three day weekend, my Tuesday classes and Wednesday classes were no exceptions. As people get older, it’s usually expected that we, as young adults, begin to take responsibility for our actions, whether we are proud of them or not, but it seems that my logic is mistaken. I thought we left the days of passing blame to people on the playground. Our new scapegoat is not a person though; however, our new scapegoat is alcohol.

I am sick and tired of people using alcohol as an excuse for whatever actions they do under the influence. I flirted with this topic a little bit in my controversial piece titled “My Theory,” but decided to save it. It’s quite funny to see how people act as soon as some alcohol gets in there system. People figure when they consume alcohol all their morals go out the window and whatever they do is fair game. Seeing what people do drunk though, tells you more about the person any sober acts can. It’s kind of like that notion your parents taught you when you were younger, “to always act like you are in the presence of your mom.” I am pretty sure if there would be some greatly disappointed mothers out there if they truly saw how their children act.

When no one is “watching” the truth comes out and nothing helps the truth come out like a couple shots of vodka, a couple cups of Caribou Lou, or shot-gunning Busch Light. If anything when we are sober, we filter out what we say and tone down who we really are. People turn to alcohol use as an opportunity to open up. People do or say things that when they are drunk they would never dream to say about sober because they have that safety net. That safety net of drunkness allows random hookups, controversial rants, etc. because the next morning if you regret it, you can always use that lame excuse of an excuse that you were drunk . Even if you don’t regret your actions, you can use your drunkness as an excuse for being a complete ass.

Just like the things you say aren’t random, drunk dials or texts aren’t random as well. Again, drunkness is an excuse to be open, no matter the means of communication. Technology is just another way to express how you truly feel. Those who lie and say they randomly called or texted you is a liar. Usually there is some sort of agenda and reason you are being contacted. Either you have done them wrong and they want to tell you did, or they care about you and don’t have the courage to admit that when sober. It’s quite funny that our true moments of honesty and purity is when we “don’t remember.” It’s scary how much this world would make sense if we just we spoke our minds like we did when drunk. Relationships could begin earlier, cutting out all the BS and build-up, you know that fun stuff. You also wouldn’t have those fake friends and would tell people what you really thought.

However, nobody wants to put how they truly feel out there. Nobody wants to be vulnerable, so they mask their real feelings. Alcohol is just a socially accepted way to put yourself out there, so know that actions aren’t really random when under the influence. Those actions are genuine to how the person really feels inside and exposes those feelings because they can hide behind that cloak of alcohol if they felt too vulnerable. I guess you can view blogging as my alcohol, an outside thing forcing and encouraging me to make myself vulnerable by sharing my thoughts. So, I hope all of us will be able to find a better outlet than alcohol to expose our feelings; however, if you remain to choose alcohol as a way to open up, don’t talk about how you regretted the way you opened up, embrace it because that’s how you feel and who you are.

8 comments:

  1. I have a problem with this:
    "Seeing what people do drunk though, tells you more about the person any sober acts can." Though there is truth to this, would like to have you consider this fact: The excessive consumption of alcohol alters cognitive processes, i.e. Perception, Rationale, etc. Even though alcohol does alleviate one's inhibitions (hence the term "Liquid Courage") it also distorts the thinking process. From reading your post, you make it sound as though getting drunk does nothing more than expose someone for who they are while keeping a clear mind which as we both know isn't true. Alcohol is a drug, so getting drunk is a form of getting high and people act differently whilst intoxicated on any other substance. Why is alcohol any different? Don't get me wrong, I do find this post to make some valid points but I do not believe this issue to be as completely black and white as you have portrayed it. The reason people don't do things once intoxicated, while sober they wouldn't, is because (again) because of the distorted thinking. Out of experience I can say that I have done things only because I was drunk. People don't soley base things on past experiences, they asses situations and adapt to them. If one is drunk, they cannot propperly asses situations. Thus, adaptation is inhibited. Motivation could be lust (despite other commitments, a point supporting you) but could be humor/entertainment. Someone could do something that they find hilarious because they are not able to weigh the pros and cons, look at possible outcomes, and so forth. Though it could be argued that this act can be a part of your point, my point is that this act could be completely acceptable in any other situation but, because of the alcohol, they cannot percieve factors that would normally be worked into a sober person's thought process. I can feel this post on many points but it seems very one sided.

    P.S. I was not taught "To always act like you are in the presence of your mom.” Instead what was instilled into me was, "To conduct yourself in a manner as though you were always in the presence of your GRANDmother." Though both say, essentially, the same thing, I find the thought of how my grandmother views a situation much more powerful that how my mother would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Barne, that in a way alcohol distorts the thought process. But I still stand by the fact that acts while under the influence are not completely random. There is a difference between drunk and blacked out, and what happens during a black out could be argued that what's done doesn't reflect who they are. The point of this post was to address how alcohol consumption is not a viable excuse to do whatever the hell you want. Your actions have some sort of driving force, whether it be to entertain a crowd or get some sore of pleasure. I agree that alcohol is a drug, but unlike some drugs, I feel like with alcohol, compared to other drugs, you still have some control. However, at time I feel like people disregard that control and milk the entire charade of being drunk. Either way I respect your opinion and glad you respect mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I've heard all of your "theories" before haha. Like we've talked about all of this before?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The point of this post was to address how alcohol consumption is not a viable excuse to do whatever the hell you want.".
    I dig it dude. That is completely, 100% true. All I was trying to say was that, in some cases, there are instances where the excuse "I was drunk" is completely viable. Cheating? No. Calling someone and confessing feelings or anger? No. Prank calling someone in your contacts? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also forgot to say that you and Freud would have probably gotten along well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha prank calling is a viable excuse, but a drunk dial with an agenda such as professing love or confessing anger is not. Whose Freud?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigmund Freud (pronounced Froid)

    ReplyDelete